Times of transition can be difficult. The summer following the completion of high school is typically an interesting one as teens prepare for more changes in vocation, location, education, and life.
The following books follow characters as they live through that summer...
Roomies by Sara Zarr and Tara Altebrando
- After learning that they will be roommates, two college-bound girls exchange emails and become friends before meeting each other in person.
An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
- Two guys go on a road trip and end up in an interesting little town.
This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen
- One of my favorite Dessen novels, second only to The Truth About Forever.
The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen
- Another Dessen novel that details one girl's summer between high school and college.
Cubanita by Gaby Triana
- A summer filled with family, culture, heartbreak, and art.
The Temptress Four by Gaby Triana
- Four best friends take a cruise together after high school graduation.
How to Be Bad by E. Lockhart, Lauren Myracle, and Sarah Mlynowski
- Three girls take a three-day road trip.
The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour
- Immediately after their high school graduation, four friends head out on tour.
The Story of Us by Deb Caletti
- The protagonist's mother remarries, and two families merge into one.
...and/or that fall (autumn), as they make the transition between high school and college.
The Body of Evidence series by Christopher Golden and Rick Hautala
- There are ten books in this series. The main character, Jenna Blake, enters college in the first book, Body Bags, which begins with the line, "It was a beautiful day to grow up." Isn't that perfect?
Cupcake by Rachel Cohn
- The third in the CC trilogy, following Gingerbread and Shrimp.
Very LeFreak by Rachel Cohn
- Veronica (aka Very) has a difficult time balancing school and fun during her freshman year at Columbia University.
Rocky Road Trip (previously published as Wurst Case Scenario) by Catherine Clark
- Sequel to Banana Splitsville (previously published as Truth or Dairy).
It's Not About the Accent by Caridad Ferrer
- A girl reinvents herself upon entering college.
Finding Grace by Alyssa Brugman
- A high school graduate becomes a sort of caretaker to a brain-damaged woman.
Shift by Jennifer Bradbury
- Two guys go on a biking trip after high school, but only one starts college.
Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson
- Two of Scarlett's siblings consider college and work.
Related Booklists at Bildungsroman:
Set in School and Transition Times