Author Justina Chen Headley made a pledge to herself to tie each and every one of her books to community service. With her newest young adult novel North of Beautiful now gracing the shelves, Justina has announced the NORTH OF BEAUTIFUL: FIND BEAUTY CHALLENGE. Here are the details, straight from the source:
Tell the world what you find to be Truly Beautiful! Just upload a 90-second video describing what real beauty means to you . . . and you could win yourself an iTouch! PLUS, for every uploaded video, Justina will donate $10 (up to $1,000) to Global Surgical Outreach, an amazing group that helps kids with cleft lips and palates in the third world.
Here's what to do:
1. Record a 90-second video essay about what's truly beautiful to you!
2. Upload the video to YouTube.
3. Send a link to email@example.com (Martha Brockenbrough will then link your video to the North of Beautiful YouTube channel.)
4. Tell all your friends to RATE your video.
The Official Rules for the NORTH OF BEAUTIFUL: FIND BEAUTY CHALLENGE:
1) The Top 5 videos will be chosen by YOU based on the most views and highest ratings. So be sure to tell all your friends to vote for you! Any ties will be broken by the North of Beautiful team.
2) The North of Beautiful team will score the five finalists on
- A) 40 percent emotional appeal (humor, pull-on-the-heartstrings, incites activism, etc.);
- B) 40 percent content (clean, widespread appeal across audiences, plot – if applicable, scriptwriting – if applicable); and
- C) 20 percent professionalism (smooth transitions, stable video, non-jarring editing cuts, constant audio levels)
3) All videos must contain original content. Your entry indicates you understand this and have the legal rights to distribute your video.
4) Any videos deemed inappropriate by the North of Beautiful team will be removed. Please don't upload anything that wouldn't, say, be shown on television during prime-time hours, or anything you wouldn't want to watch with your first-grade teacher. So no nudity, profanity, or racial slurs.
5) The contest will run from 12:01 AM February 11st, 2009 until 11:59 PM March 30th, 2009. Anything submitted before or after the deadline can't be considered.
6) Justina will donate $10 for every uploaded video (for a maximum of $1,000) to Global Surgical Outreach to help fund facial surgeries for kids in the third world.
7) The Find Beauty Challenge is open to people over 14.
8) The Grand Prize winner will receive one iPod Touch. 3 runners up will receive fabulous gifts, such as an autographed collection of Justina's novels, other free books, etc.
Take a few minutes out of your day to consider true beauty, create your video, and upload it!