I love cream of mushroom soup - but I rarely do I eat it as soup! Instead, I use it as a sauce when I cook pasta or rice. I'm a vegetarian, and I find this is an inexpensive and highly tasty substitute for other kinds of dressing or sauce.
This recipe is extremely easy and highly customizable. Let me know what you create with it!
Here are the basic steps, the first three of which are well-known to any fellow pasta-rice-grain-carb-addicts like me:
1) Boil water on the stove or in the microwave. Add salt if you feel the need. I don't.
2) Toss in your favorite type of rice or pasta. I like this cream of mushroom meal best with large macaroni elbows or white rice.
3) Cook the rice until it's nice and plump; or, cook the pasta until it is as tender as you'd like it to be, then drain it.
4) Mix in a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup. If you want it to be thick and creamy, do NOT add water! I never do. Oh, and if you're cooking on the stove and tend to heat your pasta sauce separately, you may do the same with the cream of mushroom soup now, then add it.
5) Add your favorite vegetable(s). I love corn and peas.
6) Stir well and serve!