The website provides the following FAQ and submission guidelines:
What is the Hunger Mountain Prize for Young Writers?
An annual contest for high school students. A chance for your fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction to be read by Hunger Mountain editors and guest judges!
What will the winners receive?
Three first place winners receives $250 and publication!
Three runners-up receive $100 each.
There will be a first place winner and runner up in each category: fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry.
Who can enter the contest?
Any high school student with a piece of poetry, fiction, or creative nonfiction.
Who is this year’s judge?
The 2010 judge is M.T. Anderson, National Book Award winner and New York Times bestselling author of The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation; Burger Wuss; and Feed.
When is the deadline?
The postmark deadline is April 30.
Is there an entry fee?
Yes. The entry fee is $10.
What kind of poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction is acceptable?
We accept all forms of poetry, and poets may enter up to three poems in one entry packet.
Fiction can be experimental of traditional.
Creative nonfiction can be a personal essay or a mini-memoir.
What are the guidelines?
* $10 entry fee. Make checks payable to “Hunger Mountain”
* Entries must be postmarked by April 30th
* Writing must be original, written in English, and previously unpublished
* Submissions should be under 8000 words.
* Poets may submit up to three poems per entry.
* Your name and address should not appear anywhere on the manuscript itself.
* Instead, enclose a standard index card with essay title and your name, address, phone number, and email address
* Enclose an SASE for notification of winners or plan on checking www.hungermtn.org for winners on a regular basis.
* Entries must be typed, double-spaced, and on one side of the paper only. Use Times New Roman font, and please don’t staple!
* Once submitted, entries cannot be altered
* Multiple entries allowed—but each entry must include a separate entry fee
* No entries will be returned
* Email firstname.lastname@example.org if questions arise
Send Fiction Entries to:
Prize for Young Writers
Vermont College of Fine Arts
36 College Street
Montpelier, VT 05602
Include a check for $10.00 payable to “Hunger Mountain.”
Visit the website to learn more.