Little Willow (slayground) wrote,
Little Willow

  • Mood:
  • Music:

Summer Jobs and Work Permits

Looking for a summer job? Are you between the ages of 12 and 17? You will need to get a work permit and go through the proper steps to have it verified in addition to setting up job interviews with propective employers and finding that perfect summer job. But relax - this can all be completed in a few days' time if done correctly.

Getting a work permit is far less complicated than you may think. Many local high schools have work permits on hand in the administration office, the counselors' offices, or perhaps even the school library. Complete the necessary information on the form, such as your full name, your home address, your phone number, your Social Security Number, your school name and address, emergency contact information, and additional details. Visit your hopeful employer and ask him, her or them to complete the second part of the form. Parents or guardians are required to fill out and sign the bottom of the form. Now the form should be complete, and you may turn it in to your school. In as little as two days - forty-eight hours - you may have a finalized, typed work permit in your hand. It is as easy as that!

Your new workplace will need to verify your work permit as well, so bring it along when they ask it of you. This may be on your first full day or during training sessions. Whatever the case, it is also recommended that you make photocopies of the work permit so you may keep additional copies at home, just in case. If you change jobs, you will need to get a new work permit for your new workplace. If you have a job over the summer than continues into the fall, you will need a new work permit for the new school year, as your summer permit will expire five days after school begins.

If you are under 12 and want to make a little bit of pockey money, there are plenty of jobs that are more personal and more appropriate for your age which do not require a work permit. These jobs can sow the seeds of small business while providing plenty of summertime fun.

Many "permit-less" jobs can be found in your own house or right next door. Baby-sit for your younger siblings or your neighbors. Walk local dogs around the cul-de-sac or take them down to the dog park. Expand your petwalking services to include cats who like the outdoors, or even some reptiles, like medium- to large-sized lizards. Offer to feed your neighbors' pets and water their plants while they are away on vacation.

Be careful that you never bite off more than you can chew. Do not attempt to babysit four infants overnight or walk five dogs of differing breeds, weights and heights simultaneously. Start slowly, with only one pet or one child, to see if you like the job in the first place. You may find that you like babysitting and that you can take care of more than one kid at a time. You might find that you loathe walking dogs and always get tangled up in the leashes. It depends not only on your age, but on your maturity, your abilities and how much responsibility you are willing to take on.

Take the traditional route. Wake up early and deliver newspapers. If you use a bicycle, scooter or rollerskates to get around, you will be exercising while you work. Lemonade stands do not require a work permit, so slap on the sunblock, step outside - and don't forget to add sugar. Volunteer as a junior helper at the local YMCA or parks and recreation center. Love to read? Volunteer at your local library. If you like kids but don't like baby-sitting, you can offer to read at storytime events at the lirbary. Want to help people? See if a nearby retirement home needs kids to perform, to help cook, or just to be a friendly face and a listening ear for the folks living there. The same thing applies at a hospital, where you can cheer up and assist patients of all ages, or a pet hospital or shelter, where you can befriend patients of all species. If you want to pursue something in the medical field, see if you can become a candy striper at a hospital.

If your family owns a business, you may be allowed to work there without a work permit. Some jobs in the agricultural industry do not require a work permit either. If you are cunning and crafty, you may even start your own jewelry line or sell your own paintings out of your garage gallery. No work permit need apply for self-owned businesses. (For minors, that is.)

There is a special entertainment work permit for minors in the entertainment industry. Certain rules do apply, especially related to the number of hours and times of day that minors may work on a movie or television set. Those still in school but not able to attend a traditional school may also have on-set tutors and must have a certain number of school hours every day. Entertainment work permits may be picked up from the California State Labor Commissioner, Division of Labor Standards Enforcement.

Hopefully, you now have a more complete understanding of how to obtain a work permit. Just think, once you get that simple piece of paper all filled out, you will be well on your way to earning your own money and enlarging your bank account . . . or expanding your wardrobe . . . or adding items to your book, DVD and CD collections . . .

Tags: articles

  • Red Hands by Christopher Golden

    A new Christopher Golden book is here, and I can't wait to get my hands on it! Here's the jacket flap summary for Red Hands: In bestselling author…

  • Annual Book Fair for Ballou High School

    It's that time again! Colleen Mondor has once again organized a book fair for the students of Ballou Senior High School. This time, the books are…

  • Best Books of 2019

    Total number of books read in 2019: 170 Here is my list of my favorite books I read this year, listed in the order in which they were read. Click…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded